August 10, 2010

Yet another fail....

I feel like I haven't been on blogger in a lifetime, and it's only been 3 days!

I missed a couple days of my 30 day blog challenge. I have no excuse other than the fact that life got away from me. We have had a busy weekend, which ended yesterday with a surprise 20th birthday party for my brother's girlfriend. So today will be spend playing catch up.

Day 13: A fictional book.

So seeing as I have talked about my favourite fictional books a few times on this blog, I figured I would use this topic to tell you about a fictional book I just finished reading.

Stolen is the second book in a series by Kelley Armstrong. I read the first book, Bitten, and had a hard time getting into it. I found a lot of it was character development and much of the action didn't take place until more then halfway. So I was bored for the first half, but once the action picked up I was hooked on at least giving the second book a chance.

Stolen was completely different and had me completely entranced by the first page. In Stolen, sole female warewolf, Elena, is captured and held hostage by a group of humans who are studying her for research purposes. While in captivity she meets many other kinds of people from the underworld, including witched, demons, shamans, and, of course, vampires. Stolen was filled with action, and kept you guessing about the fate of all of the main characters the whole way through. I have basically decided that these books are Twilight for adults. They deal with the same subject matter but are written in a much more mature manner, and deal with heavier subject matter. After reading Stolen I definitely recommend giving these books a shot.

Day 14: A Non-Fictional Book:

I have to admit that I don't read a lot of non-fiction. Most of what I have read has been because some teacher is making me in school, and I probably didn't pay as much attention to it as I could have. One that did stand out to me was was "The White Rose" which I had to read in my first year of university. This is the description of the book, which I took from Wikipedia:

a non-violent/intellectual resistance group in Nazi Germany, consisting of students from the University of Munich and their philosophy professor. The group became known for an anonymous leaflet campaign, lasting from June 1942 until February 1943, that called for active opposition to dictator Adolf Hitler's regime. The six core members of the group were arrested by the Gestapo (German secret police) and they were executed by decapitation in 1943. The text of their sixth leaflet was smuggled by Helmuth James Graf von Moltke out of Germany through Scandinavia to the United Kingdom, and in July 1943 copies of it were dropped over Germany by Allied planes, retitled "The Manifesto of the Students of Munich."

The novel "The White Rose" went into specific details about the capture and execution of Hans and Sophie Scholl, a brother and sister who were two of the six main members and who were both beheaded on the same day.

The White Rose is graphic, it offers a different perspective of Holocaust literature then we are used to, and it leaves a lasting impression on its reader.

Day 15: Your Dream House

This topic comes at a perfect time, seeing as C and I went for a long drive yesterday, on a hunt for some of his family history, which landed us on some country roads. One thing I love to do when driving in the country is to look at all of the houses, and yesterday I came across my perfect house. It had everything, and of course, it didn't occur to me to take a picture as my mouth his the car floor and I started to drool a little. So I figured I would describe some elements that my dream house must have (all of which this house did).

-I'm a white picket fence kind of girl, I think they are adorable.
-A Wrap around porch.
This house is actually pretty close to the one I saw yesterday. Isn't it beautiful??

-A balcony coming from the master bedroom:

A window seat

I am back to being officially caught up. Hopefully it stays this way!

No comments: