HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I took a slight break from blogging for the holidays.
Our Christmas was wonderful. Busy, but wonderful, and I was spoiled rotten.
New Years was a quiet one for us. We stayed in, ate junk food and watched movies, but to be honest I wouldn't have had it any other way. I rang in the New Year with my almost husband and our puppy and after the craziness of the holidays I think it was the perfect way to do it.
I know I'm doing this late, but I still wanted to do it.... SO here is my top 11 of 2011
11) Quitting my retail job: On March 1st, 2011, I officially handed in my resignation for the job that had been making me miserable for around 8 years. Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot from this job, I met some amazing people, but overall the job wasn't for me. After 8 years of abuse from both customers and management (my boss and I got to the point where speaking wasn't an option) it was definitely time to go! I appreciate everything the job gave me, including the ability to put myself through four years on University, but I have never been happier now that it is a thing of the past.
10) Family Traditions: Every year we have a few family traditions. We go to the cottage on Easter for an annual egg hunt in the forest that my MC and his family host.
as well as Tree Hunting in December
Although these are yearly "staples" so to speak, this year they were so much more special because it's my last year at home. Will Chris and I still participate in tree hunting? Of course! but next year we will be buying and decorating our own tree, so doing it this year with my parents and brother was pretty significant.
9) Cottage: Another staple! I don't think I need to say again how much I love the cottage. I love it even more each summer, when Chris and I head up there for 5 days with all of our friends. There are new memories made every single year, and I learn more and more about the people I was pretty sure I couldn't find anything else about.
8) Halloween Party: Again, all of my favourite people in one place. This year we did a decades theme which made it so much fun, and because I went to a different party last year and wore a decade theme costume I didn't have to buy anything. Stress free costumes are right up my ally!
7) Buffalo: In May, my mom, sister, niece and my mom's best friend headed to Buffalo for my niece's dance competition. The dance competition was only one day, but we stayed all weekend, giving us enough time to shop. The weekend was so fun, I don't think I have laughed so hard in my life (starting with the hotel clerk thanking us profusely for helping with the economy because they needed it to my niece's horrified cry of "but we went to Walmart yesterday!!!! When we pulled up to the second Walmart in two days). On a side note, she can also now describe Target's logo perfectly to anyone who asks, showing you just how much time we also spent there.
6) Sister Pregnant: Finding out my sister is pregnant again is definitely a 2011 highlight. Yes, she had to drop out of my wedding, and yes, it put a small damper on the plans but there is nothing I want more than another baby! She is going for her ultrasound to find out the sex on Wednesday and I cannot wait! (Everyone keep thinking boy for us!)
5) NKOTBSB: Part 1:
And Part 2:
I went to the first concert thinking it would be such a joke. It wasn't. The concert was amazing, so much so that my friends and I bought tickets to the second show a few months later, which probably turned out to be one of the best concerts of my life. It was so much fun reliving my teenage years with the same girls who went through it all with me and I am so looking forward to doing it all again!
4) Engagement Photo's: Even though we went through a bit of crap with being forced to change photographers a month before out pictures were scheduled, the actual picture taking was perfect. The day was gorgeous, our photographer was so friendly and we connected with him instantly and I absolutely love my pictures. Looking forward to doing it all over again in a little under 5 months (!) for the wedding.
3) Graduation: Even though 4 years of University has yet to pan out in the way I may have hoped, I'm still proud of myself for doing it. Graduation was a lot of fun, as much as I didn't want to go to commencement, I'm glad I did as it gave me the chance to say goodbye to the friends I made. I also have a wonderful family and group of friends who spoiled me with not one but two graduation parties.
2) New York: Honestly there are no words. Not only did I finally get to go to New York in 2011, I got to do with my bestest and my mom. I never thought I would ever fall in love with a city the way I fell in love with New York. There is no specific memory from this trip that stands out, the whole thing was amazing and I am so glad that I got to do it with the people I got to do it with. Trip of a lifetime.
1) Dresses: 2011 brought the year where we not only found the bridesmaid dresses (which are in and I could not love more) but I also bought my dress! My dress is in and as soon as my shoes get here I will be going for my first fitting. It's been almost a year since I last had it on so I cannot wait to put it on again. This time my bridesmaids will be with me, none of which have seen it yet which makes it that much more exciting.
The end of 2011 is a bit bittersweet for me. It marks a lot of "lasts." List Christmas morning in my bed, last time decorating my tree with my family. On the other hand 2012 marks a lot of firsts. It's my wedding year, It's the year I move out, it's the year I essentially grow up. It's left me feeling both overwhelmingly nervous and unbelievably excited.
I do know that this is going to be a busy, busy year and I'm excited to see what it brings.