September 29, 2011

New York, New York - Part 3!

I need to start this post by explaining to you just how amazing my bestest actually is.

Saturday was our last day in New York, and it was also a free day, meaning no tours or required meeting spots, we had the day totally to ourselves to do whatever we pleased.

Knowing this, and also knowing that it was my very first time in New York City, my awesome best friend spent the better part of a month scheduling a detailed itinerary based on what I wanted to do, and the things that she thought I should do.

Unfortunately I had to go and screw it all up.

My Saturday morning didn't exactly start well. It actually began with me running full force into a wood bed and breaking my toe. Only me.

Then my diabetic thing decided that it was pretty much done with the whole New York life, and by the time the bestest and I had showered, dressed, and made our way to McDonald's in Time's Square to meet my mom and her best friend, I pretty much felt like I was dying.

To make a very long story short, this all ended up with a rushed breakfast for everyone else, a trip back to the hotel room (where I passed out in bed), a rushed trip to the drug store for batteries (the battery in the machine that monitors my blood sugar decided that this was the opportune time to die) and a lot of tears. In any case, the problem was that I ate much too late the night before, also drank more than I probably should, and my blood sugar was not the slightest bit happy. It also meant that I wasn't able to move myself from bed without the fear of losing anything left in my stomach until 10:30, cutting a good two and a half hours from our day.

And yet, because my best friend is so amazing, she just adjusted and carried on like everything was fine. Love her.

So once I was moving, we tried to salvage the rest of our day and carry on, as planned, starting with the Staten Island Ferry (I was still not eating at this point, but I was drinking an amazing Strawberry Yogurt smoothy that was amazing). Even without food, and the occasional wave of nausea, these sights were amazing


After the Ferry we headed to Ground Zero

There are honestly no words. It was something I felt like I needed to see, because I, like the rest of the world, remember exactly where I was and how I was feeling on that day 10 years ago. It was enlightening, and upsetting all at once. It is also something I think everyone should do. It's unfortunate, but it has become a part of New York. It is still so fresh even after 10 years, and it made me gain a new respect for the people of New York and how they are managing to both remember and recover.

After we left ground zero came the first flaw in the itinerary. I got hungry, and needed to eat immediately, not exactly leaving time to get to the restaurant that the bestest had planned to eat at. So we found a small little cafe very close to ground zero, which was good, but not a part of the plan.

Then came more shopping. We hit Crumbs (best cupcakes ever), The Strand (four floors of books? For a book lover it's like I died and went to heaven), Barnes and Noble (I'm an addict...what can I say?), DSW (which included me talking the bestest into purchasing her third pair of Uggs. They were cute and so worth it).

And because of the morning incident, after all of this we were pretty much out of time. I had to get back to the hotel to meet my mommy for dinner and a play, meaning that the bestest could not go see the carousel in Central Park (I'm a horrible bestest. Where she is still amazing).

I finished my time in New York at an Irish Pub for dinner with my mom and we went to see "When Death Takes a Holiday." The play was good, but it also wasn't my first choice. I figured while in New York I should see something like "Wicked," or "Mamma Mia" but I got outvoted.

After that it was getting back to the hotel, icing and elevating a very, very swollen, bruised and broken toe, and waiting for the bus to come to take us on a very long trip home.

So that was my experience in New York City. I absolutely fell in love. It was nothing like what I expected it to be (which is a good thing). Trip of a lifetime and I'm so glad that I got to do it with the bestest friend in the world, as well as my amazing mother.

No comments: