February 6, 2012

10 Day Challenge - Day 4 - Books

Just four???? That's impossible! This should have been the category for ten!

I could list about a million books so I'm going to start with a few I have recently read, and go from there.

1) The Lost wife:

From Goodreads: In pre-war Prague, the dreams of two young lovers are shattered when they are separated by the Nazi invasion. Then, decades later, thousands of miles away in New York, there's an inescapable glance of recognition between two strangers. Providence is giving Lenka and Josef one more chance. From the glamorous ease of life in Prague before the Occupation, to the horrors of Nazi Europe, The Lost Wife explores the power of first love, the resilience of the human spirit- and the strength of memory.

I read a lot of books. There are a million that I think are good and a few that I think are great but there are only a handful that grab my attention so thoroughly that it becomes impossible to put it down. The Lost Wife was one of those books, and also one of those that I picked up randomly just because it looked interesting. The story is heartbreaking and beautiful all at the same time, switching between present day and World War II. It's realistic, it covers nothing up and it leaves your heart breaking. I would recommend this book for people interested in History and also those who have a soft spot for romance.

2) Wildflower Hill:

From Goodreads: Emma, a prima ballerina in London, is at a crossroads after an injured knee ruins her career. Forced to rest and take stock of her life, she finds that she’s mistaken fame and achievement for love and fulfillment. Returning home to Australia, she learns of her grandmother Beattie’s death and a strange inheritance: a sheep station in isolated rural Australia. Certain she has been saddled with an irritating burden, Emma prepares to leave for Wildflower Hill to sell the estate.

Beattie also found herself at a crossroads as a young woman, but she was pregnant and unwed. She eventually found success—but only after following an unconventional path that was often dangerous and heartbreaking. Beattie knew the lessons she learned in life would be important to Emma one day, and she wanted to make sure Emma’s heart remained open to love, no matter what life brought. She knew the magic of the Australian wilderness would show Emma the way.

I am an Irewards member which means Chapters occasionally sends me book recommendations based on books I have previously purchased. This is how I found out about Wildflower Hill, and because Chapters rarely sends me in the wrong direction I decided to buy this one on a whim (I do that a lot. You find some of the best books when you just randomly pick something up). This one did not disappoint. It also switches between the perspectives of war time and present day and it has everything. Love, romance, heartbreak, hatred, betrayal, secrets and so much more. You have to keep reading because you have to know what happened. My only disappointment was it left me wanting just a bit more. I felt like it cut off when there was still so much more to tell.

3) Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens: I'm not giving a goodreads bio of this one. It's pretty famous, I think most people know generally what it is about. This has probably been my favourite book since I have started reading. I'm pretty much a fan of any Charles Dickens novel, but this one holds a special place in my heart. I just love the story, the wording, everything. I have seen most of the movies, the play, read the book multiple times, I'm pretty sure I could recite the story by heart if asked. I know it's probably an odd choice but it's one I can't leave out.

4) Harry Pottter:

I know it's technically seven books, so I will say specifically the first one (even though we all know that I love them all). These books connect me to my childhood. I started reading them in middle school, and I think the final one came out after I was dating Chris. I loved these books. They are the only ones that I have ever pre-ordered (I believe when the 6th or 7th was released I was camping and desperately trying to find a way to have it delivered to the campsite). I know with every book it was instant connection. I wanted to find out more, I felt for the characters, I cried. I've seen all the movie's and I'm still a little sad that they are all over, it's kind of like the end of my childhood. If J.K. Rowling ever decided to write a book about the kids I would be all over that.

I could seriously go on about books for days. I've left out some amazing ones (Time Travelers Wife, Water for Elephants, Twilight, My Sister's Keeper, Firefly Lane, The Help and on and on forever). You need book recommendations let me know, I'm sure I can find something that appeals to you.

No comments: