July 12, 2011

I Just Finished Reading...



I'm not going to give a synopsis of this book because I'm sure everyone has already heard about it (I'm late to the game, what can I say?)

To say this book haunted me is an understatement. It was just one of those books that seemed to follow me. I first heard about it through Chapters, who enjoys tempting me by sending me "we picked this just for you" type e-mails. I managed to ignore them, though I did become known to pick up the book every time I saw it, read the book, consider it for about half an hour, then decide it wasn't for me and leave without it. Then I began to see it pop up everywhere in the blog reviews with absolutely amazing reviews (picture me starting to waiver, but still holding strong).

My breaking point came when I saw the movie trailer. I was hooked, the movie looked so good that I knew I would be seeing it and I absolutely refuse to see a movie without reading the book first. So I became a proud owner of "The Help" two days later.

I will admit my first impression of this book was wrong. It was worth all of the hype and then some. I could not put it down. I loved the differing perspectives of Skeeter, Aibileen and Minnie, and loved how Stockett made them her three main characters complete opposites, giving us a perspective of the same problem from all sides. The ending left me a little disappointed, but only because I felt like there should be more. This being said, it didn't reduce the book in any way as I fully understood why Stockett left it the way she did. I think its a good thing when a book leaves you wanting more, it means the author did their job.

To say I'm excited for the movie is a bit of a understatement. Although I'm not totally sold on the idea of Emma Stone as Skeeter (I was leaning to more of a Amy Adams type character) but then again I wasn't totally sold on the book as a whole and I was wrong, so who knows!

Either way if your like me and on the fence about reading "The Help" get off it and read! It's definitely worth your time.

No comments: